Table of Contents
- 1 Mustache Trimming Scissors in Review
- 2 Before Purchasing Mustache Trimming Scissors
- 3 Best Scissors for Trimming Mustache in 2019
- 3.1 G.E.A.R. Tweezerman Scissors with Comb (for Mustaches)
- 3.2 Sanguine Professional Scissors for Trimming Mustache & Beards
- 3.3 Suvorna Styling Scissors for Mustache and Beard Trimming
- 3.4 BuzzBarber Premium Mustache Scissors (Japanese Steel)
- 3.5 Utopia Care Facial Hair Scissors for Men (Curved & Rounded)
- 4 Tips and Tricks for Mustache Trimming
- 5 Conclusion
The right tools can make a difference in any task. Without the right paint and the right brushes, an artist’s work would suffer. Without the right tools, a handyman or mechanic would truly struggle with getting their job done. It’s pretty much the same when it comes to any form of grooming and hair trimming. That’s why we’ve put together this list of the best scissors for trimming mustache in 2019.
Using the wrong tools for trimming your beard and your mustache can mean the difference between looking well-groomed and unkempt. Unless you’re going for a messy look, you’re probably going to want to have the proper tools – after all, using the wrong things or even just dulled instruments can waste your time and energy. It can even cause you pain if you make a mistake or your hands slip and you end up cutting yourself somehow.
Having the right tools, can really help you with making sure that you get the results you want when it comes to trimming your mustache. The right tools include a pair of scissors for your mustache or, you can use a trimmer or a hair clipper instead. But how do you know what the right tools are? How do you know what the best scissors for trimming mustache is?
Mustache Trimming Scissors in Review
Luckily, we are here to help you with a big list of the best beard trimming and mustache trimming scissors in 2019. We are also here to provide you in depth information along with reviews and product suggestions so that you can know which the best product for you is. We are also here to discuss and compare each of these products so that you can better decide which one fits your needs. In this review and in-depth informational article, we are here to let you know why you should have a must have a pair of mustache scissors in your arsenal when it comes to trimming your facial hair.
So, if you want to have the best possible results when it comes to grooming your facial hair, do read on to find out more!
Before Purchasing Mustache Trimming Scissors
Before you go ahead and buy product for your facial hair you should first know why it’s important to have a pair of beard and mustache scissors. It’s important to use the right kind of scissors instead of regular scissors to trim your facial hair. The reason behind this is, regular scissors are not designed to cut hair and therefore may not be sharp enough to do this purpose. If you use a regular pair of scissors, you may end up with jagged cuts and damaged hair cuticles which leads to split ends and a scruffy, frizzy appearance. Save yourself the grief, and simply purchase the right pair of scissors to do the job right the first time around.
So how do you choose the right kind of scissors? What features should you be looking at in a pair of shears to know whether they are good or whether you should skip them altogether?
✂️ Length of The Blade
The first thing that you can look at is the length of the blade. Today, most scissors that are used for trimming usually just come in 1 length. However, there still are some options available with longer blades in case you want to try to use one on a bushier beard or mustache. Longer blades work better for beards. On the other hand, shorter blades are often better for mustaches because you want to be able to work around finer details.
✂️ Length of The Scissors
Barbers have experience with different sizes of scissors and blades – anywhere from 5.5 inches to about 7 inches. For common folk however, blades and scissors that are 7 inches and above are far too impractical, therefore scissors in the 5 to 5.5 inch range are better. As a matter of fact scissors that are 5 to 5.5 inches are actually capable of handling even the bushiest of beards. Even a 4 inch pair of scissors can actually do this job, especially if you need to have them more portable as you travel.
✂️ A Tension Screw
Not a lot of people know that there is actually a tension screw that allows you to adjust the tension of your scissors when you are using them. The circular knob that you see at the place where the blades of the scissors meet is the tension screw. Adjusting this screw allows you to make the scissors easier or harder to use – however, it does not change the sharpness of your blades (which is something that some people might mistakenly believe).
✂️ Type of Steel
Another thing that you should pay attention to when you are looking for the right pair of scissors is the type of steel that they used to create the blades. There are different types of steel, the most common of which are German and Japanese. Both are excellent choices as you make a decision on which pair of scissors will best suit what you need. Let’s take a quick look at the differences between the two types of steel.
- German steel provides a firmer grip on your beard and mustache due to its cutting edge, which is beveled. This type of steel does not dull quite as quickly as the Japanese type of steel, but you will know that your scissors are dull because you’ll feel them tugging at your hair instead of cutting them swiftly.
Both types of steel work great – you just have to choose the one you prefer.
- On the other hand, Japanese steel has a curved edge for cutting and therefore it’s considered to be more delicate than its German counterpart. It’s not going to break easily, however, but it is more refined and therefore can dull at faster times than the German kind of steel. You may have to sharpen Japanese steel every so often.
- If you want a better material that is durable and affective, you can use Japanese stainless steel which has a reputation for being one of the most precise materials for cutting out on the market today. German steel on the other hand has thicker plates and therefore can be less precise.
In the end both types of steel that we have mentioned here today are effective and similar. There are very minor differences, but you may want to consider one type of metal over the other when you are purchasing your mustache scissors.
✂️ Scissor’s Grip
The grip on a pair of scissors may be overlooked often, but the truth is they are quite important in making sure that you do not hurt yourself and you get the precise results that you are looking for. The right type of grip will help to keep your hand steady while you trim your mustache. the level of comfort you have when you are trimming your facial hair can also vary depending on the type of grip you have on your shears. Therefore, it is important to look for scissors that have grips with openings that are large enough so that your scissors don’t get squeezed. This is especially important for those who have larger hands and fingers. Look for a pair of scissors that also have rests for your fingers, such as bars that are on the bottom ring of the scissors, to help you with the process. There are also some scissors that come with finger rests that are removable.
✂️ Your Dominant Hand
Not surprisingly, not a lot of people pay attention to whether a pair of scissors are made for left-handed people or right-handed people. In a world that is dominated by people who are right-handed, lefties can sometimes feel left out when it comes to products that are made just for them. In any case, if you are left-handed and would be more comfortable with a product that is designed for you, you can try finding a pair of scissors made for this purpose.
One last and final feature that you should try to look for when you are purchasing your scissors is safety tips. A lot of people overlook the danger that sharp tips on the ends of scissors can pose when you are trying to trim your facial hair. If you don’t want to end up with cuts or nicks on your skin, look for a pair of mustache scissors that have safety tips to help protect your delicate skin.
Best Scissors for Trimming Mustache in 2019
G.E.A.R. Tweezerman Scissors with Comb (for Mustaches)
Tweezerman is a brand that has quite a loyal fan base, and quite a cool name as well. This brand has quite the list of products with great quality that help to prove their stellar worldwide reputation. Therefore it comes as no surprise that when it comes to the best scissors for your mustache, Tweezerman has your back with their G.E.A.R. scissors that come with a comb.
These scissors work extremely well when it comes to overall trimming and thinning for your mustache. However because of the truly sharp, straight blades with tiny serrations, these scissors are also great for doing any detail work period this pair of shears uses stainless steel blades, making them extremely durable for long term use.
In terms of ergonomics, the design of this pair of scissors has finger loops that are quite large, so your fingers won’t be constricted. These larger finger loops also provide you with better control. Simply put, they’re very comfortable when you use them, and it’s important to find a good pair of scissors that are comfortable to help you get the precise kind of results that you need. This grip is quite large, even for those with the biggest hands and fingers.
G.E.A.R. Scissors are premium without the premium price.
The overall size of this pair of scissors however is quite small, except for the grips of course. This size makes them quite an ideal pair of shears for people whose mustaches and beards are not quite that large or thick. As a matter of fact, you can also use these to trim the hair on your eyebrows and in your nose.
The sharpness of the G.E.A.R. scissor blades go from the bottom to the tip so when you cut your hair they do not pull or tug, making it easier to trim your facial hair. The metal that they used for these scissors is stainless steel, and as a bonus, it will rarely need to be sharpened. This product comes with a comb – however, some users say that the comb isn’t quite the best quality. Regardless, it’s nice to have around you when you’re trimming and styling your mustache as well as your beard.
If you’re looking for a pair of scissors that are great for detail work, look no further than the Tweezerman G.E.A.R. scissors. With this pair you can also enjoy the versatility of being able to trim your eyebrow and nose hair.
Sanguine Professional Scissors for Trimming Mustache & Beards
This pair of scissors is often described to be extremely sharp. And, indeed, they are extremely sharp scissors that can give you a very precise cut every time you use them. Regardless of whether you are trimming your beard or your mustache, you can use the Sanguine scissors to give you great and easy results.
This pair of scissors is made of Japanese steel. They are compact and are great for trimming your eyebrows as well. These scissors may be smaller in size overall compared to many others; however, they still do have very large and comfortable openings for your fingers. This pair is suitable for right-handed people and lefties alike. Put simply, these scissors by Sanguine are easily one of the best scissors for trimming mustaches available today.
There are quite a lot of reasons why people love these Sanguine scissors and here are only some of them:
- These scissors are quite versatile: you can use them on your beard and your mustache, however, you can also use them on your eyebrows. Another reason they’re versatile is the fact that you can use them whether you are left-handed or right-handed
- The blades on this pair of scissors are quite sharp, meaning you can get a very precise close trim with much less effort. but because they are sharp, you should be careful when you are using them for the first time to avoid hurting yourself
- There is a tension screw built-in that helps you to loosen or tighten the blades depending on where you would like the tension to be
- They are small in size, making them ideal for travel
- They’re easy to take apart for cleaning and oiling
- The grip on this pair of scissors is ergonomic and comfortable, making the entire process of trimming your mustache effortless
- These scissors come in a very elegant leather case that has a magnetic closure for your convenience
With how sharp, versatile, and comfortable this pair of scissors is, surely you have everything that you need to be able to get a close and precise trim. They are extremely durable and built to last a lifetime, making them the choice for many people around the world. It’s true, you can’t go wrong with the Sanguine scissors.
Suvorna Styling Scissors for Mustache and Beard Trimming
If you want to make really precise cuts and do detailed work, the Suvorna scissors may just be the choice for you. This pair of scissors is designed for cutting beards and mustaches, and with how precise the results can be, it’s so much easier to get rid of your unruly and stray hair.
Why don’t we take a closer look at these shears?
- If you’re worried about your scissors falling apart on you after a couple years of use, there is no need for that when it comes to the Suvornas. despair is built to last you a lifetime, and the brand is happy to prove you with their lifetime warranty. This brand also offers a 60 day money back guarantee, so that you can just return your scissors if you are not happy with them. This money back guarantee asks no questions, so you can return or exchange regardless of what your reasons may be.
- The Suvorna shears use Japanese stainless steel for their blades. The edges of these scissors are extremely sharp and convex and are tightly fitted as well.
- The grip on this pair of scissors offer holes for your fingers that are big enough so that even men with bigger hands can use them without discomfort. The finger rest on this pair is also removable, which makes it quite handy and versatile.
- The scissors have a mirror-polished stainless steel finish, to make it look quite reflective, smooth, and premium. It also helps to protect against oxidation and moisture, helping it to last through years and years of use.
- This beard and mustache trimmer scissors are great for everybody, regardless of whether your hair is thin, thick, heavy, or unruly. This pair of scissors has blades that allow you to get a smooth and clean cut every single time.
- The Suvornas have adjustment screws that allow you to change the tension of your blades to where you want it to be.
- This pair of scissors also comes with a comb as well as a very attractive pouch for storage. On top of that the entire package is quite portable and small so you can bring it around for traveling purposes.
If you’re not a leftie and you want durability, this pair of scissors is the answer.
BuzzBarber Premium Mustache Scissors (Japanese Steel)
BuzzBarber makes many different products, and this particular pair isn’t the only mustache/beard shears they have available. However, according to the brand, this pair in particular is the best that they have available. And so, they deserve to be mentioned in our review of the best mustache trimming scissors this 2019. If you want to know why, let’s take a look at the features right here:
- The blades of the BuzzBarber scissors are made of Japanese steel, as the name might suggest. This pair of scissors is made of metal that prove to be sharp and superior to others out on the market today. Thus, they can easily trim every single area of your face from top to bottom. You won’t experience any pulling and tugging while you trim, making them great to use even when you are in a rush.
- Many professionals including stylists and barbers love this pair and consider it as one of their favorites.
- The BuzzBarber scissors come with a tension screw, so you can fine tune the amount of tension in the blades and get it to where you want it to be. This screw also includes a spring to help you make any tiny adjustments.
- The finger holes on this device are smaller than others but they’re ergonomic and aligned perfectly. These scissors come with a rest for your fingers, and also have silicone rings and a silencer bumper.
- The BuzzBarbers are bundled with a leather pouch to make them more portable for travel purposes.
- These scissors are quite versatile, working well with a myriad of cutting techniques.
For those who want a pair of scissors that are famed for being the favorite of professionals, these particular scissors are probably the best. The quality of the steel used to make these shears is top notch. On top of this, there is simply a lot to like about them. Therefore, we do recommend these scissors for your bathroom!
Utopia Care Facial Hair Scissors for Men (Curved & Rounded)
This particular brand of scissors is known to be one of Amazon’s bestselling. It’s not hard to see why, considering the fact that they also come quite affordably, making them a very good bargain. These scissors have many features that make them best sellers, including the cutting edges which are sharp but have rounded as well as curved tips. When you use these scissors, you can count on accuracy when you are cutting. You can also trim other areas such as your ear hair and your nose hair, and even your eyebrows.
These scissors use surgical grade stainless steel, and therefore they won’t rust or stain throughout the many years that you will use them for. The metal used also lasts longer than other blades that are made from just ordinary steel. to make them last longer, you may also want to wipe the blades from time to time with a delicate cloth after every use. Make sure that the cloth is dry, and then make sure that you are storing the scissors in a closed position.
The rounded and curved tips of the blades prevent nicks and cuts and any other accidents that can sometimes happen to even the most experienced beard and mustache trimmers around. These blades stand out because you won’t really find a lot of blades with safety features such as these.
The ergonomically designed grips and handles give you comfort and ease when you use them. Despite this, the scissors are small and easy enough to carry for traveling purposes.
A lot of people will swear by these curved and rounded scissors and it is truly easy to see why. These Utopia Care Scissors will give you clean and accurate cuts for many, many years to come.
Tips and Tricks for Mustache Trimming
Now that we have given you a good list of products that we recommend for trimming your mustache, we would love to give you a few tips to make this task much easier. With the right tools and the right technique, as well as a good dose of patience, you will be able to groom your mustache to however you want them to look. So, read on to find out more!
- To make it easier for you to trim your mustache as well as your beard, it is a good idea to clean and dry your facial hair. Regularly trimming your facial hair helps you to prevent clogged pores from dirt and bacteria build up. But before you start your process of trimming, make sure that your facial hair is completely clean and dry. You can use a special shampoo created for facial hair if you please. You don’t need a lot of this product, as a matter of fact, you just want to be able to scrub your hair and the skin underneath clean. So you just really want to use enough product to get a good lather going. Use your fingertips to wash your hair and scrub in different directions to make sure that you get everything. You can rinse off the shampoo with warm water, but make sure that it is not too hot. If you don’t want to wash your facial hair with a shampoo, you can use a towel soaked in water that is just warm enough. Put it on your face over your facial hair for about 10 minutes. Make sure that you dry your mustache and beard completely before you start your trimming process.
- Scissors are best used on facial hair that has grown a length greater than one inch. You will probably have to trim your facial hair once a week for best results. Make sure that you pick the best scissors for trimming mustache. It’s also a good idea to have a great comb for your beard or your mustache, as having one can help you with the process. When using your comb, hold it at a very slight angle to use it as your guide. Trim only the hair that is protruding from between the teeth of your comb.
- When you are trimming your mustache and your beard, don’t forget your neck! To make everything look neat, make sure that you try to go for symmetry. An uneven cut that neglects the neck can make things look unkempt, sloppy, and unruly.
- The same tools will work for trimming mustaches and beards. You can use your comb the same way by holding it an angle as a guide then only cutting protruding hair. Be very careful trimming around your upper lip so as not to make any nicks or cuts.
- Clean up after your trim – our favorite way of doing this is by simply jumping in the shower. However, if you are pressed for time, you can simply wash off with cold or normal temperature water.
Facial hair can be something that men are proud of or want to just get rid of completely. Regardless of where you fall on this spectrum, having the right tools to help you groom your mustache is paramount to getting the look and the results that you need. We hope that the tips and the in-depth reviews we have put together today can help you in your quest to finding the best scissors for trimming mustache in 2019. Remember to be careful when you trim your hair so that you don’t hurt yourself!